photo HOMEPAGE.png  photo ABOUT30.png  photo MILAJO.png  photo Unknown.png  photo ADOPTION30.png  photo OurHome.png

Monday, August 20, 2012

Contentment

Is finding contentment one of your greatest challenges?

It is mine.

The other day I was helping a friend of mine unpack her new home. I got the job of organizing her closet. Her gorgeous, fully shelved, giant, walk-in closet.
I found myself being a little envious of all the storage space, and the shelving.
Then I found myself a bit envious of her shoe collection.
Then it was her clothes. Gorgeous dresses!

But then I remembered that I have a huge closet.
I have shoes, many shoes!
And I have MORE than enough clothes!

I'm such a whiner!

I am always catching myself wanting more "stuff".
What else?
A new entertainment center. Well, actually a buffet to sit underneath my TV.
My idea is gorgeous, my desire is strong, and I usually end up getting what I want.

But I catch myself thinking about what I could be doing with the $400 instead.

Here's a few things I found through World Vision that I could give instead:

Give  $420 worth of medicine for only $35


This can provide up to 28,000 people with clean water





This would change a family's life




This will provided women with medical care, food, education, and training to women and girls who have been sexually exploited.




And you can get all of these things for $295.
For less than $300 how many lives can you save?

And I want to spend that money on a place for my flat screen TV.

Seeing why I'm feeling a little bit convicted?

Hebrews 13:5 
Keep your life free from the love of money, and be content with what you have, for He has said, "I will never leave you or forsake you."

1 Timothy 6:6-8
Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these with will be content.

Phillipians 4: 11-13
Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound, In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all thing through him who strengthens me.

There are so many more with so much less than I have.
And I catch myself full of greed on a daily basis.
I am praying for contentment in all my circumstances. 
Because I know that true happiness comes through Christ, not things.



5 comments:

Susan said...

Our pastor did a sermon on contentment yesterday, and boy was it what I needed to hear this week! We have a 200 year old farmhouse that we are redoing, and I got very frustrated at how slow the progress seems to be sometimes, and how I am not able to get things as organized as I would like to. It wasn't fair to my hard working hubby, and I wasn't trusting in God to provide for my needs. But that was last week, on to happier times and wanting less!! :)

Sean and Rachel said...

Wow. Pretty darn convicting.

I wish I didn't know this saying: "Live Simply so others can simply live."

I love you and your generous heart and how willing you are to let God work in that generous heart!

Alexis said...

My heart needed those bible versus tonight! I have been struggling greatly with comparison. Ironically enough my last post was about being in this world but not of this world!

Hand high! Daily struggle for me!

-Alexis

Anonymous said...

I love this, hope you can share it on my blog today!
Wanderlust Wednesdays

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you shared on my link up today! Please come back next week, same time and same place. I would love to hear more about you! Have a great week! :)
Tales of the Younger Twin