photo HOMEPAGE.png  photo ABOUT30.png  photo MILAJO.png  photo Unknown.png  photo ADOPTION30.png  photo OurHome.png

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Play With Them

It's hard for me to get the energy to play with my boys sometimes.

That sounds horrible.

They are so funny, creative, and silly. And I can barely muster the energy to giggle with them.

I have laundry, dishes, dusting, bathrooms, cooking, baby rearing …well you get the idea.

But to actually take time to play with them.

I have always admired those moms who are able to be really crafty with their kids. But sitting and doing crafts doesn't seem to be my niche. I'm not exactly the most artistic of gals (you should see my attempt at a dog…it looks like a squirrel…a really messed up squirrel).

My boys play together great most of the time. But I know that this time I have with them will be over so quickly, and I don't want to waste it just trying to always clean my home!

I've come up with some clever ways to do this more often…here's my top ten.

10. Take 15 min before I do the dishes to play a board game.

9. Chase them around the kitchen island 15 times or until I can't breath any more.

8. Build a fort with them. And then destroy the fort with them.

7. Have them help with folding the laundry. I don't know why, but they think it's really fun.

6. Make a "craft" for daddy. Like a heart with stickers on it (cause that's about as crafty as it gets in this house)

5. Let them help me with dinner.

4. Tell stories at lunch with them.

3. Let them paint the tub.

2. Sing silly songs with them (youtube has been very helpful)

1. Dance party. This is my ultimate favorite. 10 min of non-stop cardio for everybody!


This is my embrace the camera moment. Who knew I could still do this. We're now trying to teach the boys how to do this. I know what you're thinking, and yes, I probably will regret this decision later.





6 comments:

Unknown said...

I am amazed at your ability to climb the door frame!!! AWESOME! And play time is so important and yet so easy to forget or push to the side. I love your list, and I hope you find more time for playing. It really is the best part of this motherhood thing!! :)

Jacci said...

ha ha - awesome :)

we had our first 3 kiddos in 3 years and 8 months, too. It *was* a busy time!

cute blog!

Erin said...

My boys and I love dance parties! The only down side is how quickly I realize I am way out of shape. My boys love helping me with my 'chores' too.

Hespyhesp said...

Ha! I love it!

Traci said...

Omg I remember doing that as a kid! This picture just made me want to try it again ;) Your list is great. I'm not all that crafty either but as my son gets older I'm finding pinterest very inspiring in terms of finding clever things to do with him.

LMM said...

I'm new to your blog and I'm enjoying it alot!

This is a great topic and one that many of us grapple with. These are some great ideas! I struggle with this a lot as I work full time then come home to face the second shift of dishes, etc. I have all boys - 7-year old twins and a 2 year old. I have taken to stopping whatever housework I'm doing when a kiddo asks me to play, and just going to play. We lay on the floor and run hot wheels. We make race tracks and pretend car washes. We make play doh pancakes. Last weekend we sorted macaroni - all three boys and me! (That's about as crafty I get.) And after about 15 minutes, I will say I need to get back to my work and ask who wants to "help" me with my chores. Mostly the 2 year old does, but occasionally one of the twins will as well. Overall, my house is far messier than I am comfortable with, but the kids know they are important because they can see me making a deliberate choice to spend time with them first.