photo HOMEPAGE.png  photo ABOUT30.png  photo MILAJO.png  photo Unknown.png  photo ADOPTION30.png  photo OurHome.png

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

7 Ways to Style Dirty Hair

If you knew me in real life, you would know I'm not a huge fan of taking a shower.

Okay…so now that it's out in the open are you glad you can't smell me through the internet?

Haha…with that said nobody has accused me of stinking too bad…at least not to my face.

But just to clarify…I do shower…I'm just not a huge fan of it. It's mostly due to the fact that if I get my hair wet it adds another 30 minutes to my "beauty" routine.

So back in college I began to "train" my hair to skip shampoo treatments. What better time to rock greasy, nasty hair than college right?

It took a few months to make my hair look non greasy until that day 4 shampoo. Now that I've been at it for a few *ahem* years, I can get my hair to go 9 or 10 days without a shampoo. And still be in public.

A lot of dealing with the "dirty hair days" is about how you style it.
So here's my top 7 ways to wear my hair on those "dirty" days.


For the record…that photo is 3 days after shampoo day (don't mind the roots…I'm too cheap to get a touch up

So I can easily get 3-4 days with treating my hair any differently. I just will usually brush it and curl it. 

But come day 5…it needs to be up. It just doesn't have the bounce or the volume that the earlier days do. 

1. My secret weapon is to tease it. Now, I can't tell you how healthy it is to tease your hair. But I do know that my hair is pretty darn healthy (according to my hair stylist, at least). Teasing tutorial here

Before I begin any new style for the day I will always tease the crown of my head, then smooth the exposed area of the hair. I don't know why…but teasing it completely hides the fact that it's dirty. 

So after the tease…here's what you can do with it.

2. The french side braid. 


3. The Phony Tail. This one is an optical illusion. You can make your pony tail look longer by making two instead of one!
tutorial here


4. The Gibson Tuck
tutorial here




5. The undone bun.
tutorial here



6. 10 second Top Knot (this one I do all. the. time)
tutorail here



7. Topsy tail bun
tutorial here


If you actually looked up any of those tuts you notice that my hair is always messier than the "originals". I always have fly aways, and by day 7 it looks a bit more "frizzy" due to the teasing. But it doesn't look greasy….and that's the whole point!

What about you? What are your top style for skipping the shampoo? I'd love to hear it!


22 comments:

DIY Vintage Chic said...

Great tutorial. My hair styles actually told me NOT to shampoo as much. We should all try to go at least 2-3 days without shampooing. So I still shower everyday but skip washing my hair. These tips will be helpful! And your hair does look healthy! Thanks for sharing! Stop by my Friday's Five Features and link up this post (and others)! http://diy-vintage-chic.blogspot.com

Marcella{The Life After "Trust Me"} said...

Thanks so much for all the ideas. I try so often to try to tame my hair to skip shampooing, but then I just give up. I know I need to just stick with it though.

http://marinewife1111.blogspot.com/

Selene @ Restoration Beauty said...

Love all your hair ideas, especially the 10 second top bun!! I always wanted to know how to get that messy bun look..now I know..thanks!
Found you on Wow Me Wednesdays and started following your lovely blog on Bloglovin!!

Vanessa said...

Thanks for this! I can usually go two days without washing my hair before I start feeling gross. I'll have to try out some of these tutorials. I am extremely uncoordinated when it comes to styling my hair. Maybe for once I can not look like I walked through a wind tunnel. HA!

Mer said...

I love this!! Just to let you in on a hair stylist secret, we don't wash our hair much. that means we'd have to start our hair ritual over! lol Depending on your hair type its not really good to your hair to wash it everyday. If you work a sweaty job, have oily scalp, or hair you should wash it more, but it doesn't need to be every day! but most peoples hair is dry, plus all the coloring, bleaching, and heat we put on it! It needs time to regain its natural oils. Plus hairs usually easier to style with a little natural oil. I promise this doesn't make you the smelly lady! lol

Tanya Anurag said...

I postpone the shampoo days as much as I can. And as the days increase, I start tying up my hair in bun. And this post helped me to try the different buns every morning.

Thanks for sharing your tips and tricks ;)

Let's keep the shampoo bottles away.. hahaha

Unknown said...

I LOVE this post! Unlike some other pins I've seen on Pinterest, these are all very practical (and cute)! Thanks for sharing :-)

Alicia

mothers shadow said...

Makes me want long hair again! I'm a new follower. Carrie, www.amothersshadow.com

Vickie @ makingoursustainablelife.com said...

I am soooo glad to hear someone else can go a week without shampoo! My hair is so thick and coarse, it takes all day for it to air dry. Seriously! So I wash it once a week, straighten it, and it lasts until the next week. I have told this to people before and they all have said "eeewwww", so I stopped saying anything, thinking I must be gross. I am so glad to hear that I'm not!!!

Karla Do More said...

I know washing your hair everyday is not ideal but I just can't go without. I've tried it before and it's so oily and gross that dry shampoo is of absolute no help. :/

I do love this post though and I would LOVE for you to share this at "That's My Style" Link Party TOMORROW (every Friday) on my blog. Not comfortable sharing? Stop by anyway for beauty related post and fun DIY projects. I hope to see you there! :)

Karla @ www.MySerendipitousLife.com

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, I don't wash my hair every day because it really dries it out. Unless I work up at sweat while running or at the gym and usually what I do is just use a rinse. Love all the hairstyles!

Unknown said...

These are all great!! I love the Gibson tuck, it looks so elegant!!!

Unknown said...

I usually wash my hair after 2 days. Because of the pollution and dust in India. After 2 days its usually impossible to leave it that way.So I oil it and wash it

Ayesha
http://definingayesha.blogspot.in/

Jessi @ Practically Functional said...

I love this post SO MUCH! I definitely have those days (or 3 or 4) where I just don't have the time to shower and my hair used to get so bad! I cut down to shampooing only every other shower and it helped, but these hairstyles are super cute. Too bad my hair is real short now...it just looks greasy as soon as it is no matter what! I'm definitely pinning this, thank you so much for sharing it at my link party!

Katherines Corner said...

great tips!! Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things hop xo

Shannon @ 2ndstorysewing.com said...

I love it. Thanks for the ideas, I wish I could make it 10 days...i can barely make 4! You look great in all these

Karla Do More said...

Thanks so much for sharing this at "That's My Style" Link Party!!! You made my day. I do hope you'll join in again. I can't wait to see what you have to share this week. :)

Karla @ www.MySerendipitousLife.com

Lori Vachon said...

Cute, cute, cute hairstyles! Found your link at Practically Functional :)

Stop on over and link up at our SUPER SUNDAY Link Party, our followers would love your post too!

Lori
Who Needs A Cape?
Not Your Average Super Moms...

Emily Meyers said...

Thanks so much for all the references girl! I'm so glad to see that so many of my tutorials have made it into your favorites! They look awesome on you too:)

xoxo

Rachel Burr said...

WOW, you look so gorgeous with your hair, I'm always dreaming of that kind of hair, and hope someday, if my hair is already thick, I'm gonna copy this kind of hairstyle. My Webblog: Cheap Hair transplant in Pakistan

Chrissy said...

Do you brush the teasing out every night? Does it ever get itchy or dandruffy with the extra oils? The styling ideas are great. Thanks for the selection!

Tanveer said...

Nice blog!

You know you want to be the best-dressed person at the party. We know that feeling too. We've got you covered with the best new hairstyles and hair products to take your look to the next level. Find your perfect style with the hairdo hairstyles guide. With, you'll find the best hairstyles for every occasion.