photo HOMEPAGE.png  photo ABOUT30.png  photo MILAJO.png  photo Unknown.png  photo ADOPTION30.png  photo OurHome.png

Monday, August 26, 2013

The Best Way To Paint A Door

I took the plunge and finally painted my pantry door.
I don't know why, but I've been super reluctant to just up and paint a door.
Seems like such a big commitment.
A while back I had painted my garage door and I loved the way it turned out (the hubs even agreed).
I'm a bit compulsive and one day after dropping off Jo to kindergarten I decided today was the day to paint it. Plus…it was crazy hot outside so I knew the paint would dry quickly. 


Because this was the second door I painted I've learned some lessons along the way. So here's my best tips for painting that door. 

Take your door off of the hinges and lay it flat. Take off all the hardware too, like the doorknob.
This way I was able to lay it flat giving all 5'1" of me better leverage. I was able to paint it so much faster without having to tape around hinges and doorknobs. 



One of the best things I've ever found when it comes to painting wood is a microfiber roller. It leaves no lines or marks and smooths the surface wonderfully!
Seriously…worth every cent!

I also used an oil based paint so that it was super shiny and really easy to wipe down.


After it's laid down here's how to get in done in no time!

Step 1: Paint the grooves with a paintbrush (not your roller).


Step 2: Paint the width of the door with your roller.
Step 3: Paint the length of the door with your roller.


Doing it this way will mimic the way the wood was laid when the door was manufactured. It won't leave you with any unnatural looking lines. 

 Step 4: Paint the remaining large surfaces and the centers using your roller.


This took me 3 coats. Because it was drying in the sun it took me about 2 hours to do all three coats. Dried and all. Love that Colorado sunshine!

Once this was done I stood it upright taped the edges and finished it off…and hung it back up!

I'm really loving the way it looks in my kitchen. Having a stark white door in the kitchen area didn't make sense with the dark appliances and other decor of the room.


I love that it brings a little attention to my chalkboard door too.








No comments: