Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Under The Knife

What a week. I can't even begin to tell you how tired I am. 
I left for Virginia with my parents early Thursday morning of last week. Arrived back in Colorado early Sunday morning, and took Micah to surgery early Tuesday morning.

He was scheduled to have his adenoids and tonsils removed.
He's such an amazing boy (I know he's mine…but it is the truth).
When we told him we were going to the Dr, he was excited, not nervous or anxious.
After all he's been through he wasn't scared.
This is him before the surgery.

Have you ever had to watch your children go under anesthesia?
It's torture for a parent. To watch them slowly become less lucid and then to see their eyes roll back into their head and know they are out.
I had to watch Josiah do this when he was 2 and had to have a hernia surgery, and again yesterday with Micah.
I can't help but cry. I tried to hold it together, it's just terrifying to see that.

We waited only 20 minutes and they were done. It was truly amazing.
He did great. They removed his very large tonsils and he medium sized adenoids with the hopes of improving his respiratory problems.
We waited a couple of more minutes and then were allowed to go back and see him.
He was eating a popsicle slushy, was very groggy, and asked to do it himself.
The entire time we were there he didn't cry, complain, or whine.
This picture is about 20 minutes after surgery and we tried to get him to sleep. Doesn't Buzz look so comfy to cuddle with?

Then here he was before we left, less than 5 hours after arriving for surgery.

Yep, that's a cheesy grin.
We couldn't believe he wasn't in more pain!

On the way home he threw up in the car due to the anesthesia (and I had a minor panic attack).
But once we were home, you would have never thought he had JUST had surgery.
He was eating anything he could get his hands onto, and even attempted to eat buttered noodles for dinner (but he gave up and opted for yogurt).

I can't believe him.
I am hoping the recovery is this easy. I wasn't expecting it at all. I thought he'd want to cuddle on the couch for 3 days and I'd have to force juice down his throat.
But no, this morning he asked for a cinnamon roll (I soaked it in milk first) and a pop tart (that was a bit more questionable in my eyes).
He's chasing Ella around and hasn't sat still yet.
God is amazing.
The spirit he has given Micah is full of power and strength. He will be a mighty warrior one day.

Micah's verse is proving to be true every day.

2 Timothy 1:7
"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity but a spirit of power, of love and of self discipline."


Rachel said...

I'm so glad that he's doing well after his surgery! And hopefully this helps with everything else so he can run and play to his heart's content. Taking your kiddo in for surgery is the WORST. We had to take Sydney when she was 3 months old. I cried too. I think that's just part of being a mommy. It's amazing how the second they are born they capture your heart and you just want to squeeze them tight forever.

Christine said...

Wow, that's awesome! My little guy had the same surgery when he was 4 years old. The nurses had to re-sedate him after he woke up, he was screaming so much they were afraid he was going to hurt his surgery wounds. Thankfully the surgery cured his sleep apnea and he wasn't sick so much. My little guy is now BIG at 18 years old.
I am your newest follower from Blissful and Domestic. I hope you will visit and follow back :)