photo HOMEPAGE.png  photo ABOUT30.png  photo MILAJO.png  photo Unknown.png  photo ADOPTION30.png  photo OurHome.png

Friday, September 6, 2013

Project 365

I read an article a while back in a magazine, which I can't remember (and can't find any reference to on the internet!)…anywho…it was about this woman who was determined to de-clutter her life.

She told the story of how she lost her home in a fire. After a while she felt a great relief from all of her "stuff". Years go by and she finds herself, once again surrounded by too much "stuff". So she begins to get rid of 10 items a day; either by donation, the trash, or by sale.

I can't tell you how much I loved this idea!

10 items a day. I can do that!

By the end of the year I can declutter my home by 3,650 items.

I have to tell you what. It's not as hard as I thought it would be. It's actually quite easy. I just tackle one area a day.

The junk drawer.
The pantry.
The kids bookshelf (I got rid of over 40 books my kids don't read…geeze!)
The island in my kitchen.
A dresser.
A nightstand.
My makeup drawer

You see, it takes me about 15 minutes a day to go through one area in my house and just say "goodbye" to the stuff I haven't used, or don't need. I don't need 400 cookbooks…thank you Pinterest.

I then make a pile in the garage and call the donation pick up people to come and grab it.



The first day it was my closet; I am always organizing that darn closet! But I got rid of 2 pairs of shoes, a belt, some jewelry, and a few items of clothing. I didn't take me long at all.

I have to say this has now become one of my favorite things to do during the day. Purge.

We live in a society that tell us the more "stuff" you have, the better your life will be.
Indeed, this is a lie.

We have been warned not to get too attached to our things.
“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal”  Matthew 6:19-20
We just don't need this much stuff. I want to live a life full of simplicity, and fulfillment. I know I will never find these things outside of Christ.

It's time to declutter! Who's with me?!

3 comments:

Nici @ Posed Perfection said...

I love this idea of getting rid of 10 items a day! That is totally do-able and not overwhelming. Thanks for posting this! I'd love for you to link up to our All Things Thursday Blog Hop when you get a chance! Have a great weekend!
Blessings,
Nici

PJ @ Planned in Pencil said...

I could probably get rid of 3650 things from my craft room alone! Such an awesome challenge to yourself!

Kate said...

I love this idea. I'm starting in my closet for sure. The tackling some kids toys,